Art Handler and Facility Manager
Opera Gallery New York is looking for an experienced art handler and facility manager. The role is the link between the suppliers, the customers and the sales team of the Galleries.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a high, professional and courteous standard of customer care with all internal and external contacts
- Maintain and develop excellent communications with the management committee and staff, funding bodies and external agencies
- Ensure with shipping agents a punctual and safe delivery of the Products to clients and other galleries of the Group
- Coordinate with shipping agents to ensure the correct documentation is issued to support all imports and exports of the Products.
- Ensure all pieces to be shipped are packed/crated in a professional manner, photographed and recorded for condition report purposes
- Manage the relationship with the shipping agents and review prices
- Request 2 or 3 quotes per shipment from various services providers for budget purposes
- Coordinate the installation and de-installation of New York gallery
- Arrange for any restorations of the Products where required
In the gallery:
- Manage the Galleries’ stocks in terms of count and condition
- Verify the condition of the artworks upon delivery into the custody of the Galleries and sign the corresponding receipts including any remark in relation to their condition
- Report any damage to the management of the Galleries and to the insurance company and issue the necessary reverses to the party purported responsible of the casualty
- Maintain documentation for all artworks belonging or consigned to the Galleries
- Issue and monitor all documentation for the delivery and return of artworks
- Ensure correct artworks are within the correct premises for insurance purposes. i.e. the Masterpieces Are exclusively stored inside the Galleries
- Quarterly stock take
- Maintain the overall look of the gallery (i.e patch walls, installing artworks, paint walls)
- Liaising with Accounting Team with regard to invoice processing and office expenses
Office administrative tasks:
- Complete in-house legal agreements and contracts for artists, consultants, freelance, casual staff, etc
- Filing of all documents for current and future reference
- Ensuring the office environment and procedures meet health and safety regulation standards
- Monitor office condition and arrange for any necessary repairs
- Maintain office supplies as necessary – coffee, cleaning supplies, stationary, etc
- Support the Gallery Director
- During special exhibitions: organize catering, security, mailing, etc
- Liaise with Paris office for catalogues and press releases
- Foreign language is a plus
- Previous experience in handling and installing art and sculptures
- Experience working within a gallery, museum, studio, auction house or art logistics provider is required
- Able to lift artworks up to 50 lbs.
- Excellent client service skills and attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and organized
Must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package including 401k plan
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.
Employee health and safety is of the utmost importance and as such Opera Gallery is committed to adhering to New York State Department of Health covid safety guidelines.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Art Handler and Facility Manager” in the subject line.