Baltasar Lobo

Baltasar Lobo was a Spanish sculptor and member of the New School of Paris. As of 1922, the artist was hired as an apprentice in Ramón Núñez’s studio in Valladolid. He resumed his education in 1927 at the Academia San Fernando in Madrid before starting night school at Escuela de las Artes y Oficios. This was when Lobo discovered the works of Picasso, Dalí, Miró and Gargallo. In 1939, he moved to Paris and became friends with Pablo Picasso. Lobo worked for a few years in Henri Laurens’ studio. The anthropomorphic shapes of his sculptures then became simpler, with a hint of Constantin Brancusi, Jean Arp and Henry Moore. Gradually Baltasar became very intrigued in the use of the simplified forms, the curvilinear lines and the simultaneous concept of post-cubism structure of sculpture. His subjects were progressively relegated to the background of the canvas, especially the themes of naked women, women swimming and women with babies. From the debut of his artistic days, Lobo’s work was object of an important diffusion in France with major tours in galleries and museums in many cities worldwide (including Prague, Brussels, Luxembourg, Zurich, Caracas and Tokyo) that granted him the position of a prominent contemporary sculptor. His international recognition also resulted in numerous awards and distinctions such as the Andre Susse Sculpture Prize (1958), Jacques Lenchener (1974), the Official Prize of Arts and Lettres (France, 1981), the Order of Andres Bello from the Venezuelan Government and Susse Freres Fondeul Gold Medal. After the change of government in Spain, Lobo was awarded the National Arts Award (1984) and the Castille and Leon Prize for the Arts (1985). In 1948, Lobo produced a statue for the city of Annecy, in commemoration of Spaniards who died fighting for their freedom, and in 1953, one for the University of Caracas. A retrospective of his work was held at the Museo de Arte Moderno, Madrid in 1960. The 1980’s mark the growing ties of Lobo to his birthland. In 1984, he held his first exhibition in Zamora and two years later, in the VIII Biennial of the city a room was dedicated in honor of Lobo’s successful artistic career.